Wednesday, May 26, 2004

 

Sometimes you feel like a Stooge...


Morning Commute:

Snapcase, Designs for Automotion
The Stooges, Fun House


There are days where i just don't get The Stooges. Maybe its the lack of textural subtlety. Maybe its the mix or other production issues. Maybe its my classical training getting the worst of me. Luckily, most days, like today, allow me to put all that bullshit aside and just listen and feel. (jesus, this sounds cheesey so far) There's nothing like unabashed raw power in the morning - not to be confused with unabashed Raw Power.

It was actually Fun House this morning. I finally got my hands on this album (which I admittedly should have gotten years ago) a few months ago through a teacher friend of mine. It was on the same MP3 disc as ZZTop, The Rolling Stones, and Foo Fighters. Go Figgur. It seems to be (and coincidentally: chronologically IS) the perfect bridge between the freak-out vibe of their first record, The Stooges, and the reckless abandon (in both performance and sound quality) of their third LP, the aforementioned Raw Power. They still had the wacky saxophone thing going on, and Iggy sounds a lot more sly than angry or dumb (third and first records resepctively)This is also their last record before Bowie got his hands on them. Hats off to the boys from Ann Arbor for getting me jazzed for a fun day with the kiddies.

The morning actually started with Snapcase's 2000 release, Designs for Automotion. I bought this record, sound unheard, along with their first record, Lookinglassself back in 2001 at a Borders somewhere along Rt. 10 in New Jersey. These guys were reccomended to me by my old drummer. He's a great guy and a HUGE fan, and i always found his enthusiasm for this band and what they stand for downright inspiring. (for the record, he would have actually preferred that I purchase their second LP, Progression Through Unlearning) Maybe it was becuase i miss him, or maybe it was the lack of sleep coupled with the nasty weather, but this hardcore/punk record actually had the ability to make me a little nostalgic and downright wistful this morning. Amidst the roaring guitars and shouted distopian lyrics, I found that i was transported back to the time when I began my love affair with this record. I'd like to believe that a good record, regardless of genre or mood, can capture a certain time in one's life. This one certainly must have. I thought about my old job, my old apartment, my old band... If you know this record (my fave Snapcase album, btw), it may seem confusing that it could inspire anything other than rage or excitement, but i found myself riding the M train and flipping through my mental photo album. Kinda sad really...


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?