Monday, June 21, 2004

 

"Guerilla War Struggle is the New Entertainment..."


Yesterday's trip to Jersey:

Post-Punk Madness...
Gang of Four, Entertainment
Joy Division, Closer

Ah, NJTransit. Off the family barbecue. What better way to pass the time than to listen to some mind-numbinly disaffected and repetitive music.

**** Ok, now it's July 6th and I have mysteriously lost three or four posts I was in the middle of, so I guess I will recap some stuff.****

As per the beginning of this post: I have since listened to not only a lot of the aforementioned British Post-Punk acts, but they're biggest fans as well. I must admit that this new dance/rock thing is startting to excite me. As much as it kills me to here Franz Ferdinand on K-Rock (that concert rules, btw. I literally sweat of 5 lbs. of water weight and danced so hard I was ready to pass out/throw up), it makes me glad to see that bands like !!! and The Killers (both of which I just purchased from the iTunes store) are showing up not only in The A.V. Club, but on the pages of Rolling Stone as well. While I doubt I will spend much time listening to !!! (pronounced "chk chk chk", btw) for the sake of listening, they, along with these other new groups, have inspired me to think about DJ'ing for the first time in my life. Their album is choc full o' profanity and politcal rant, but it never detracts from the indie-cum-new wave-cum-electronica-cum-post-punk-cum-club music of it all. The Killers, on the other hand, are lighter, and, in many ways, more interesting fare. I guess Duran Duran with the slightest hint of pop-punk melodrama is how I would best describe these guys. I almost got in a car wreck laughing at how retro some of it sounded. The thing that sets it apart from the !!!'s, Franz Ferdinands, and Raptures of the world, however, is that amongst the big synth lines and 80's grooves, these guys are still all about songs. Y'know: verses, choruses, harmony... that sorta thing. I am a sucker for a great song, so I am guessing I will be spending a good deal of time with these guys. That my girlfriend really seems to like it only provides more opportunity for me to play this disc to death.

in other news...

NEW OBSESSION ALERT: Neil Young... more on that later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?